Advisers can find it difficult and intimidating to advise non-European nationals on how their immigration status affects entitlement to benefits and tax credits. This standard level course offers an opportunity for advisers to gain knowledge and confidence by taking a step-by-step approach and looking in-depth look at how the rules apply to different scenarios.
The course covers:
• Who is a ‘person subject to immigration control’
• Which benefits they are excluded from and the exceptions
• When a ‘no recourse to public funds’ restriction is relevant
• How a change in immigration status affects entitlement to benefits
• The benefit entitlements of someone living with a partner or child with a different immigration status
This ‘one-day equivalent’ standard level course is aimed at those who advise non-European nationals on their benefit entitlements. If you also advise European nationals you should also book on the course Benefits for EEA nationals on 23-24 November 2021.
The course will be delivered online via Zoom from 10am to 1pm each day with a half hour break from 11.15 – 11.45.
It is a practical course, delivered using a combination of trainer presentation, exercises and group discussion. Participants will need a Wi-Fi connection and a suitable device to access the internet. It is not recommended to join via a mobile phone.
Participants will receive an email a few days before the start of the course, with a link to the event hosted on our AskCPAG elearning platform.